14 Marketing Automation Stats That Will Blow Your Mind
If you are in the field of Marketing either as a marketer, a designer, or a developer, you must have heard of Marketing Automation.
This term has exploded in popularity since 2016 and is one of the hot topics among all types of businesses from startups to enterprise retail & eCommerce companies.
No matter which industry your business is in, marketing automation has become an essential marketing capability to have. Why? Here are some mind-blowing marketing automation stats to support our claims.
What is Marketing Automation?
Marketing Automation refers to the coordination and automation of marketing processes across one or more channels (email, push notifications, SMS, social media) to create engaging interactions with your customers with the goal of maximizing the chances of conversion or retention.
So what are the key benefits of Marketing Automation?
If your company uses a marketing automation software then you will gradually:
- Improved engagement rate: Marketing Automation will deliver more relevant content to your audience, thus this will lead for sure to more customer interactions, thus improved customer experience.
- Improved campaign stats: Email Open rate, Email Click-through rate,
- Improved ROI (Return On Investment): The natural flow of delivering more relevant content is the maximization of conversions.
- Improved Customer Retention: Since your automation flows will be behavioral driven, people will receive more compelling offers to their inbox/screens. As a result, they will return to your site more frequently, at least.
- (eCommerce-only) Improved AOV (Average Order Value): Dynamic crossing and upselling automation can guarantee an increased AOV, as a result of “pitching” better content to your subscribers.
- Improved CLV (Customer Lifetime Value): At the end of the day if all the previous occur, you will gradually realize that marketing automation has led your average customer lifetime value to higher standards.
3 Great examples of companies nailing marketing automation
Over 50% of the world use marketing automation in their mix. Some of the top businesses in the world who adopted marketing automation as a core capability are:
- Amazon: Amazon’s amazing dynamic product recommendation engine is a classical “best practice” in the eCommerce industry during the last years. Their marketing automation strategy delivers the most personalized experience and maximizes the profits, via
- Hubspot: Famous for their inbound marketing strategy generally and specifically for their email automation sequences that nurture and convert leads to customers. The result?
- Buzzfeed: They are renowned for their hyper segmented email sequences, with their educational email workflows making them famous worldwide among the marketing professionals.
The 10 Marketing automation flows that will totally blow your mind
Here are the 10 most impressive marketing automation stats to know:
- Marketing Automation sales worldwide were $13 billion US dollars (Statista, 2019)
- They (marketing automation sales) are expected to exceed $25 billion US dollars by 2023 (Statista, 2019)
- On average, 49% of companies are currently using marketing automation, with more than half of B2B companies (55%) adopting the technology. (Adobe, 2018)
- Marketing automation drives a 14.5% increase in sales productivity and a 12.2% reduction in marketing overhead. (Nucleus Research, 2017)
- 77% of companies using marketing automation saw an increase in their conversions (VB Insight)
- 82% of people said that they would buy more products online via email if the emails they received were personalized around their preferences. (Maildocker, 2016)
- Price drop reminder open rates average at 38.33% (ContactPigeon, 2018)
- Triggered emails have a click-through rate of 152% higher than traditional emails. (Email Monks, 2018)
- Cart abandonment emails have an average open rate of 30% (Marketing Hub, 2018)
- The average click-through rate of a transactional email is ~300% better than the regular promotional email (Smart Insights, 2018)
Why are these statistics important?
The size of the (marketing automation) market has been growing year after year. Over 50% of companies worldwide have adopted this technology with proven results. At this point, having solid marketing automation functionalities within your marketing stack is no longer a “good to have” feature but rather a “competitive necessity” to stay ahead of the market.
4 Top marketing automation stats for Black Friday and eCommerce
As all of the marketers within retail and eCommerce are well aware, Black Friday weekend is the biggest shopping days of the year, both online and offline. At ContactPigeon, we run an annual assessment of Black Friday marketing automation metrics across all of our retailers. So, here are the top marketing automation stats we gathered :
- 7% of all Black Friday eCommerce sales came from marketing automation
…and let’s break that down to:
- 4% of all Black Friday eCommerce sales came from behavioral-triggered pop-ups
- 2% of all Black Friday eCommerce sales came from automated push notifications
- 1% of all Black Friday eCommerce sales came from email automation
Why are these statistics important?
These stats show that the natural evolution of marketing automation is the omnichannel marketing automation. The brands which can develop the best ability in building cross-device and cross-channel marketing strategies will be able to win a bigger market share.
Not a trend. A necessity.
Marketing automation used to be a hot trend a few years ago. This era has come to an end since half of the companies globally have already adopted or in the process of adopting it.
Marketing automation has evolved from a trend into a necessity and the above-mentioned marketing automation ROI stats demonstrate two points.
First, if you are among the early adopters then you should probably focus on building an omnichannel marketing automation strategy. If you are still debating whether to adopt marketing automation, then your business may already be late to the game. The key, therefore, is to accelerate the process by seeking a well-established marketing automation solution that can be customized to fit your industry niche and internal processes.