Adobe XD: What Can You Expect?
Last year, Adobe announced what might be its most ambitious venture till date: Project Comet, an end to end prototyping, user experience and design tool that claims to be capable enough to solve all your designing needs. Under steady development, Project Comet is finally ready, and it is now known as Adobe Experience Design, or Adobe XD. That said, what exactly is Adobe XD all about? Furthermore, irrespective of the buzz surrounding it, will Adobe XD be able to live up to the hype?
What is Adobe XD fka Project Comet?To begin with, let us first discuss what Adobe XD is all about. Here is how Adobe likes to describe it (note that this description was how Adobe first introduced it as Project Comet):
Project Comet is the latest offering from Adobe and it’s got its aims set high, promising an all-in-one tool to handle everything from wire-framing to visual design and rapid prototyping for all devices from within a single app. Take your UX designs from start to finish with the cross-platform app that lets you do it all — wireframing, visual design, interaction design, prototyping, previewing and sharing. And because it's built from the ground up, Comet delivers innovative tools and breakthrough performance to help you design in record time.Or, you can watch this slightly dated but still relevant video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwV-TY8pSJ8 In a nutshell, Experience Design strives to be an all-in-one tool that lets you create wireframes, mockups, prototypes, as well as work with UX design and interaction design. Naturally, this is not a minnow tool, but more of a mammoth multipurpose offering. With XD, Adobe is trying to target the UX design and wireframing segment to the fullest.
Major FeaturesAnd what all does Experience Design bring to the table? Here is a brief run-down:
- Tools for drawing, combining, editing and working with shapes and paths, as well as working with gradients and shadows and styling text
- Ability to copy and paste vector content from apps such as Illustrator
- Ability to import formats such as SVG, PNG, JPG, GIF and bitmap
- Interactive prototyping tools
- UI elements meant especially for designing mobile apps
- Desktop-based previews for your prototypes
- Ability to add team members as well as clients to your projects
- Export content and assets to Web, iOS or Android