How 301 Redirects Can Influence Your Online Business
People usually do not care much about the redirecting function when they are about to launch their first website. But the life can get tricky pretty quickly. The time may come when you need to learn what 301 redirects are and how you can use them. In this article, I will try to answer the most common questions that concern the 301 redirects and their contribution to your website’s success.
What 301 Redirects Are?The main reason for using 301 redirects is to help the search engines to find your new page and to index it. If used properly, 301 redirects is a reliable tool to ensure that your new page gets even higher rankings than the old one. And for sure, you need 301 redirects to stay in touch with your prospective visitors. This is crucially important in case your website has undergone structural changes. 301 redirects indicate that the change is permanent and that there is no coming back to the old version (unlike 302 redirects, see the chart).
Creating a New URL for 301 RedirectsWhen you consider applying 301 redirects, then you need to figure out what your new URL should look like. The following steps should be enough to help you with choosing the new URL and facilitate the whole redirecting process.
- Add relevant keywords to the new URL. I think you would agree that the URL www.somesite.com/blog/reasons-to-like-fitness looks much more approachable than www.somesite.com/blog.php?id-782&color=9&size=5&session98765432 for both search engines and your prospective customers.
- Avoid redundancy. Let’s take the following URL www.somesite.com/blog/aticles/article1/text-reasons-to-like-fitness and change it to www.somesite.com/blog/reasons-to-like-fitness. Remember that the length of your new URLs can vary. But the farther the keywords are from the beginning of your URL, the more insignificant these words might seem to a search engine spider.
- Always use a lowercase mode and a hyphen (for the separation of the relevant keywords) within your new URL. So, www.somesite.com/blog/reasons-to-like-fitness it is more preferable than www.somesite.com/blog/REASONS.to.Like&Fitness.
301 Redirects: Reasons to Use and Risks to ConsiderThe list below includes the most common reasons to use 301 redirects and risks that this usage can sometimes involve. These reasons include:
- The development of the new website architecture. This is a change necessary if, for example your website starts loosing its customer flow because of the poor navigation. As Speedie Consultants claim, the loss can be as big as up to 15%. Sometimes it makes sense not only to develop a new website architecture but also back it up with 301 redirects.
- Continuous problems with the website itself. It can happen that there are severe structural issues that prevent your website from working properly. Changing the URLs can sometimes fix it. For example, if your website has multiple domains, search engines might get confused and consider your content duplicated. 301 redirects is a tool that informs the search spiders that you have one website but your content is available under several different domain names.
- The move to the new root domain. This reason is usually connected with the management or marketing issues of your online enterprise. In this case, changing the URLs may lead to a more profound traffic decrease in the short run. One can explain it by the search engine spiders getting suspicious about the whole new website. One more issue that you have to have in mind is that it is not only you who can create redirects. Your hosting company can be doing this too. In order not to get into trouble with the double redirecting, you need to confirm the whole transition process with your hosting provider.
Great stuff you shared! Really 301 is helpful me to pass link juice for website.
Nice one Julia, thank you for sharing.
Good read. what does http redirect to https use?
I’ve done some serious damage to my site in the past messing with htaccess working on this stuff. Best be careful!
I love to read these kinds of article, it gives me more ideas on how to make my site even better..
Thank you for sharing excellent information. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this website. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject.