New Year, New Book: Smashing Book 2 Is Coming: Pre-Order Now!
As most of you may already know, Noupe is a subsidiary of Smashing Magazine. For those of you who don't, we offer books on the best practices in modern Web Design. Our books share technical as well as practical tips on coding, usability, optimization, typography and much more! [fblike]
Is the Book Really Coming?What's the best way to start a new year? Not just with resolutions and good intentions, but with good deeds! Therefore, today we have the pleasure of announcing that a new Smashing Book is on its way. And not only that: it's not just a book but an annual event. In all honesty, the Smashing Book 1 could have been better in several ways: the overly long shipping times and poor quality of the binding were critical mistakes we made with that first book. But we did our homework and learned from our mistakes. We wanted to make the Smashing Book 2 better than its predecessor in every respect: the hardcover book will cost $29.90 USD (like the first one), but it will have more pages and much better binding and will be more comprehensive and of higher quality. As you read this, the Smashing Book 2 is already in the final stage of production: printing started in late December. This means we will start shipping the books by February at the latest, and the pre-order period will be much shorter than the one with Smashing Book 1. You can pre-order your copy today and get a huge discount: 20% off the regular price.
What's in the Book?Like its predecessor, the Smashing Book 2 is a printed book about best practices in modern Web design. This book shares valuable practical insight into design, usability and coding. It provides professional advice for designing mobile applications and building successful e-commerce websites, and it explains common coding mistakes and how to avoid them. You'll explore the principles of professional design thinking and graphic design and learn how to apply psychology and game theory to create engaging user experiences. We also feature interviews from experts on the future of Web typography and describe how you can publish a book on your own. Well-respected professionals have worked with us to provide exciting and comprehensive chapters:
- “The Principles of Great Graphic Design,” Matt Ward and Alexander Charchar,
- “Visible vs. Invisible Design,” Francisco Inchauste,
- “Designing Mobile User Experiences,” Mike Rundle,
- “Sketching, Wireframing and Prototyping,” Janko Jovanovic,
- “Red Flags in Web Development,” Christian Heilmann,
- “The Future of Web Typography,” Vivien Anayian,
- “Game Design Techniques Applied to UX Design,” Christoph Kolb,
- “When They Click: Psychology of Web Design,” Susan Weinschenk,
- “Design Patterns on E-Commerce Websites (A Study),” Steven Bradley,
- “How to Make a Book (Like This One),” The Smashing Magazine Team.
Free Sample (PDF)You will find more information below, and you can read a sample chapter — “Visible vs. Invisible Design” (PDF, 5.6 MB) by Francisco Inchauste — for free.
Exclusive Artwork for the BookThe Smashing Book 2 features exclusive full-page illustrations for each chapter. And here we’ve got something special for you. The illustrations were created by the talented Australian illustrator and our dear friend Yiying Lu, who is well known as the designer of Twitter’s famous “Fail Whale.” She has designed an exclusive new series called “Smashing Animals” for this book, and (by the way) you can purchase it as wall art on Yiying's website. Yiying lovingly cares for her cat on the wall. You can see this illustration in the chapter “Visible vs. Invisible Design,” written by Francisco Inchauste.
Names of Our Readers in the BookIn November 2010, our readers and fans had the opportunity to add their names to the book. We sorted all of the participants alphabetically and created an exclusive double-page feature on pages 6 and 7. Overall, 2970 names form the “S” in Smashing — ASCII art at its best.
The Smashing Book 2 is Available Only in the Smashing Shop… and Nowhere ElseThe Smashing Book 2 will be a hardcover book with quality stitched binding, 360 pages and a bit larger of a size than its predecessor. The price is again just $29.90, but there is more. We want to make the book affordable to everyone, so Smashing Magazine will pay a large part of the shipping costs and ship the books at a fixed price of $3.50/€3.50 per copy, no matter where you live in the world. And it gets even better: books will be sent only via air mail (except within Germany). The delivery will take between 3 and 15 working days at most (you can check delivery times for your country). The books will be shipped from Berlin, Germany. And of course, if you are not satisfied or have questions, there is a 100-day money-back guarantee and a live chat in our recently redesigned Smashing Shop.
But That’s Not All, Right?Right! Initially, the book was supposed to contain more chapters, but because most of our contributors delivered (much) more content than the book’s size could accommodate, we couldn't include them all. (We could have added more pages, but then shipping costs would have increased significantly.) So, we will release four chapters as a free bonus eBook, called “The Lost Files.” This eBook will be available in PDF, ePUB and Mobipocket formats. In February, every registered customer will be able to download the book, even if they haven't bought the Smashing Book 2. So, make sure to check out the Smashing Shop in February. Here are the pieces that will be presented in the free bonus eBook:
- “The Ultimate Web Design Questionnaire and Checklist,” Kat Neville,
- “Plagues in Web Design and How to Deal With Them,” Speider Schneider,
- “Interviews: Expert Tips From Renowned Designers,” Steven Snell,
- “Web Design Community: Where Are We Going?,” Paul Scrivens (Drawar).
Features of the BookIf you pre-order the Smashing Book 2 now, you will get a huge discount: 20% off the regular price. You’ll pay just $23.90 USD and will get:
- A solid printed hardcover book,
- Quality stitched binding with a bookmark,
- 360 pages with full-color images on coated paper,
- Worldwide availability,
- Reduced air mail shipping — just $3.50/€3.50 per copy,
- Risk-free purchase with a 100-day money-back guarantee,
- Free bonus eBook with four chapters,
- Pre-order your Smashing Book 2 now and save 20% off the regular price!
FAQHere are some frequently asked questions and answers related to Smashing Book 2.
Contents and Format of SM Book 2
- What's the difference between Smashing Books 1 and 2? Both books cover best practices in Web design and Web development, and they have similarities, but on a broad scale they cover different areas of design. Book 1 presents coding and layout techniques, color theory und UI design, while Book 2 covers psychology, designing for mobile devices, graphic design, wireframing and book production. They complement each other very well but are also distinct enough for standalone reading.
- Is Smashing Book 2 an update, a new edition or a completely new book? The content was written from scratch, specifically for the book. It's a completely new book.
- Is Smashing Book 2 available as eBook? No. We don't want it to be just one of the many books available everywhere, but rather be an exclusive annual event. Our goal was to print a large, unique, comprehensive and extremely valuable physical book. We don't have any plans to release it as an eBook yet.
- What's with the extra eBook (the “Lost Files”)? Initially, the book was supposed to contain more chapters, but because most of our contributors delivered (much) more content than the book could accommodate, we couldn’t include them all in the book. (We could have added more pages, but then shipping costs would have increased significantly.) Therefore, we will release four chapters as a free bonus eBook called “The Lost Files.” The eBook will be available in PDF, ePUB and Mobipocket formats. In February, every registered customer will be able to download the book, even if they haven’t bought the Smashing Book 2. So, make sure to check out the Smashing Shop in February.
- Will the book be available in other languages? Not yet.
Payment, Costs, Shipping
- Can I get a bulk discount? Yes, of course! Please contact our book sales manager, Michael Dobler. He will be glad to answer all of your questions!
- What are the shipping costs for my country? The shipping cost per book is €3,50 (for Europe) and $3.50 (for the rest of the world). We’re paying part of the shipping cost ourselves to make it possible for anyone to purchase the book, wherever they are in the world. We don't have any hidden costs and haven't made any tricky calculations.
- What are the delivery times for my country? All books will be shipped via air mail to keep the delivery times as short as possible. You can find the anticipated delivery time for your country in the delivery times overview.
- What payment methods are accepted? We support primarily PayPal, VISA, MasterCard and American Express. In Germany Lastschriftverfahren and EC-cards are supported, too. We use a secure connection, with 256-bit AES encryption and a GeoTrust Extended Validation SSL CA certificate.
- Is there a money-back guarantee? Yes, absolutely! There is no risk involved. Our 100-day full money-back guarantee keeps you safe. Don’t hesitate to return your purchase. You’ll get your money back; no ifs, ands or buts about it.
- I'm experiencing problems with the check-out? You can either check our Smashing Shop FAQ page or contact our live support team by clicking the “Chat” button in the upper right of any Smashing Shop page.
- I have a problem not discussed here. Please leave a comment below, or contact our live support team by clicking on the “Chat” button in the upper right of any Smashing Shop page. We would love to help you in any way we can!