MH Magazine – a WordPress Theme for Online Publishers
Multi-purpose themes are becoming more and more popular. Does this mean you should use one? Not exactly. Depending on your use case, there are other types of themes that might fit your needs better and faster. Today, we’ll introduce you to the premium theme MH Magazine by MH Themes, which is perfect for the entire field of editorial websites, such as blogs, online magazines or dynamic news portals.
This is the MH Magazine Theme
I don’t know about you, but I am not into themes for a wide application area, as most of them are created slovenly. Typically, the entire focus has been given to the creation of a beautiful landing page, while neglecting all other areas. The MH Magazine Theme is soothingly different. It sets itself apart from the masses in many ways. You can easily tell that a lot of development work has been put into the theme, just by looking at it. This is one unique selling point already, as these days, “complete” themes have become an exception.
Nobody has to buy a pig in a poke; the theme can be tested in a reduced lite version before purchasing it. MH Magazine Lite is available as a free download from the official WordPress Theme Directory. Of course, the free theme doesn’t come close to the arsenal of features that are included in the premium version. Nonetheless, both versions of the theme are responsive and adapt to any screen resolution without issues.
The Flexibility of the MH Magazine Theme
The theme’s big advantage is its remarkably high flexibility. There are many different ways of using it. It is particularly fitting for professional blogs, online magazines, and dynamic news portals. It’s basically predestined for topics like lifestyle, gadgets, sports, food, fashion, traveling, technology. The entire landing page is based on widgets. Including the front page, the theme offers in total 26 different widget areas available for customization. This allows you to create a website that completely adjusts to suit your needs relatively quickly.
In general, you can use the theme to do anything that comes to mind, while it is optimally used for all editorial areas. The following image depicts its enormous flexibility:
However, even this graphic only provides a brief impression of the many options that this theme provides. The landing page alone is adjustable in diverse ways.
If you want to find some inspiration on what’s possible using this theme, take a look at MH Theme’s showcase. Here, you’ll find plenty of examples of how the theme is used in different ways. The majority of the showcase entries displays the MH Magazine in various designs and divisions. A close look will definitely spark your inspiration.
The Following Demos are Available:
- Demo 1: Standard Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 2: Lifestyle Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 3: Technology Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 4: News Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 5: Food Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 6: Travel Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 7: Sports Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 8: Women Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 9: Dark Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 10: Wildlife Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 11: Motor Sports Magazine Theme Demo
- Demo 12: Urban Style Magazine Theme Demo
- Access all Demos
Some Screenshots of the Demos:
The MH Magazine Theme’s Features
This theme is translation-ready and has already included translation files for a number of languages. This way, users don’t need to translate the theme on their own if the particular language is already available.
Let’s get to the important part: What does this theme offer? First, I should again mention the highly flexible landing page that I talked about earlier. On top of that, the theme comes with 23 custom widgets for all thinkable purposes. It offers the popular responsive FlexSlider 2, and is prepared for the use of child themes.
The Differences Between the Lite and the Full Version
|Theme Name||MH Magazine lite||MH Magazine|
|Theme Demo||Demo||12 Demos|
|Download or Purchase||Download||Purchasing the Theme|
|Extended Layout Options|
|Page Width||1080px||1080px / 1431px|
|Widgetized Homepage Template|
|Amount of Widget Areas||12||26|
|Custom Widgets||4 (Basic)||23 (Full Version)|
|jQuery News Ticker|
|FlexSlider 2 With Touch Support|
|Integrated Breadcrumb Navigation|
|Integrated Social Buttons|
|Related Posts Feature|
|Prepared for Advertisements|
|Color Options to Alter the Color Scheme|
|Custom Google Webfonts|
|Typography Options for Fonts and Size|
The Theme’s 23 Widgets
- MH Slider – includes layout options to display dynamic content on the landing page.
- MH Custom Slider – used to display specific content on the landing page. (premium)
- MH Author Bio – displays authors, avatars, and biographic information. (premium)
- MH Authors – shows a list of authors and the number of published articles. (premium)
- MH Custom Posts – used to sort posts according to categories or tags.
- MH Posts Grid – used to display a grid made of images/thumbnails. (premium)
- MH Posts List – shows a list of posts with thumbnails. (premium)
- MH Posts Large – lists the articles with a large thumbnail. (premium)
- MH Posts Digest – displays the articles with thumbnails and an article overview. (premium)
- MH Posts Focus – shows five articles with the focus on long pieces in the center. (premium)
- MH Posts Horizontal – displays a grid with posts including titles and thumbnails. (premium)
- MH Posts Lineup – shows a featured post and a list of other posts. (premium)
- MH Posts Stacked – shows five posts including thumbnail, title, and metadata. (premium)
- MH Carousel – displays a rotating slider with thumbnails. (premium)
- MH News in Pictures – shows a small gallery of linked images. (premium)
- MH Tabbed – shows the latest posts, tags, and comments in 3 tabs. (premium)
- MH Facebook Page – used to display the Facebook page. (premium)
- MH Social – used to show social media icons in the sidebar/footer. (premium)
- MH YouTube Video – displays YouTube videos on the landing page or in sidebars. (premium)
- MH Spotlight – presents a highlighted post on the landing page. (premium)
- MH Recent Comments – shows the latest comments including the avatar. (premium)
- MH Custom Pages – used to display pages filtered by IDs. (premium)
- MH Posts Columns – shows columns with posts of certain categories. (premium)
Costs and Support
The Support and the Extensive Documentation
MH Themes cares for providing thorough support. If your native language is German you will be happy to hear that the support is available in your mother tongue as well. Besides personal support in English and German, you will find a comprehensive documentation as well as many tutorials on the various features of the MH Magazine Theme.
The Theme’s Costs
The theme costs $49 USD, which is a decent price, considering the provided feature set. Those who want to test it first can download the lite version from WordPress, which will already be sufficient for many use cases. However, the premium theme offers a lot more freedom regarding design, simply because of the increased number of customization options. Instead of wearing out a new theme every year, you can simply change the colors and order of the custom widgets. This way, your website receives a fresh, new look. This can save you a lot of work when comparing it to moving to a new theme.
MH Magazine is, without a doubt, a very interesting theme for all editorial purposes. The most important and commonly needed features are included in the premium version without causing bloat. Plus, the overall quality of the theme is very good. The latter also becomes apparent through the ratings of the lite theme on WordPress. High flexibility, paired with a very appealing look lets me wholeheartedly recommend this theme.